Monday, December 22, 2008

The 道, my 道. (part I)

I promise I did it without purpose. Even more, it took me a certain time to notice it...

When I first came to my approach to my symbol I was thinking in one of my recent chronicles where I wrote:
  • "(...) and then I realized I have a train track on one of my hands and a road on the other(...)".
(that's one of the many chronicles I send to my friends when traveling, it may become matter of a post...). I was thinking on the path as a way you walk along, as the endless life that merges with one's life neglecting the not-taken sideways.
A first alarm should've sprung (and it didn't in part because of my poor CI...) when reading the Japanese name of the kanji 道 /do/... Funnily, it is the ending of all the martial arts: judo (柔道), aikido(合気道), karatedo (空手道)... and much more for sure. It becomes even worst: I totally ignored the Chinese name dao or tao...
It wasn't until I read in the book I'm reading these days The construction of China, that I noticed the coincidence...

No comments: